I’m making myself get back on track with Harry Potter planning this week, so I wanted to summarize what has happened so far based on our meeting this summer and my more recent chats with John and Denise. This also serves as a call for volunteers for specific tasks, so read on!
At this point, we need to finalize which events we’re actually going to make happen. Just as an experiment, I'm playing around with creating a Google site to keep all of our info in one place. I realize it's extremely basic (and ugly) at this point, but we'll see if it works and if it doesn't we'll go back to just using e-mail to keep everyone on the same page.
There's obviously no way that I can take charge of everything, so what I'd like to do is hand off responsibility for each event/activity to a small group of you. It'd be great if one person can take general responsibility for each group and then keep me in the loop just so I'm aware of everything that's happening and can make sure it's shared/advertised in some uniform way. Below, I differentiate between 'official helpers' who will be the main planners for each event and 'lots more' helpers for day-of activities to make sure things go smoothly.
Here's what I've got:
- Tom has agreed to start working on a poster (or two) for us. With any luck we’ll be in agreement on the final design by the first of the year. (Thanks, Tom!)
- I'm willing to create the LibGuide for the exhibit, but if someone else wants to do it, let me know! I'd be happy to give up that responsibility.--Jennie
- I really loved June's idea of having moving portraits (like in the books/movies) of library folks and maybe even a few campus celebrities on the flat panel TVs. Aimee and/or her student assistants make the most sense for that job. Aimee--are you willing? And does anyone want to help?
- For the most part, other marketing tools will be created on an as-needed basis once planning starts. I'll be in close contact with marketing/media relations.
- HP’s World will arrive at NCC during the week of April 4th. I’ll need 1-2 people to help set up the exhibit after the library closes on Saturday, April 9th. If you’re so excited about heavy labor that you’re willing to volunteer at this point leave a comment below. Otherwise, I’ll send out a call for volunteers on March 10. FYI: Set up crew is required to wear latex (or alternative) gloves at all times while handling the exhibit.
- Tuesday, April 12. 12-1:30ish: Grand Opening! John has recommended that this be held during community time and targeted to students. We'll want to advertise to the rest of the NCC and Naperville community as well, though. I would like to be 'in charge' of this event, but I'll need 2-3 official helpers for planning and lots more for actually pulling it off. Volunteer via comments below or an e-mail to me.--Emily w/ Denise and...
- Wednesday, April 13. 9:30-11:00: National Library Week Campus Coffee! Jennie has agreed to be 'in charge' of this. She'll need 2-3 official helpers (volunteer!!) and lots more for actually pulling it off closer to the date.--Jennie w/ Denise and June, maybe Heidi...
- Friday, May 13. TBD: Student Activities whatsit! At our meeting, we talked about getting student organizations involved in setting up games and activities around the library. One of the first steps for this would be to get a list of student groups and their leaders from Amy Clarke Sievers and to send them a form letter to let them know we're planning to do this and asking them to consider committing to participating. I would REALLY like for someone else to be in charge of overall planning for this event. Let me know if you want to do it and how many official helpers you think you'll need. This group would also be responsible for coordinating a possible showing by CUAB of one of the HP films. We talked about asking the student assistants to do their own event while the exhibit's here, but I think we could probably work them into this event somehow.--Diana w/ Heidi and...
- Weekend Date TBD: Education Department program. I'm not sure what kind of event Belinda has been envisioning, but John suggested at least considering doing an evening event for middle school aged kids, since they're more likely to have read/be reading the books. He suggested a lock-in, which I readily admitted sounded insane. Whatever this ends up 'looking like,' I'll be here to help out, but I don't want to be in charge!! I think that, by default, Belinda has to be in charge of this one. Belinda--let us know how many official helpers you think you'll need.--Belinda w/ Denise and...
- Date/Time TBD: Health resources Lunch & Learn. I don't even know what the process is for getting on HR's calendar to do a lunch & learn session, but I think it'd be great to do one on health resources available at Oesterle while HP is in town. Or perhaps one of you has an idea for an even better topic? I'm looking for someone to be 'in charge,' so let me know if you have ideas!
- HP's World closes on Saturday, May 21st. I'll need a couple of people to help out with that, so unless you want to volunteer now, I'll send out a call for volunteers in April.
5 comments:
I would be interested in working on the LibGuide; I'd like to get more experience in putting together resources on a topic like this.
I'm interested in helping with the student activities event though I'm not sure if I want to be in charge of it myself. I can if no one else wants to though. I know Craft Club is really interested in and excited about contributing to the event!
Also, for the Lunch & Learn, Patti Jumper is the new HR training person, so she would probably be the person to talk to about setting something like that up.
Emily, please sign me up for helping you with the grand opening on April 12th and helping Jennie with cc on April 13th. Oh and sign me up to be a helper for Belinda's lock-in event as well :) Basically, the only event I can not help with is the set-up weekend.
Sign me up to help with campus coffee and the grand opening, and I wouldn't mind taking charge of the student activities event, one or two helpers should be sufficient.
I will be a helper for campus coffee and the student activities event. Also, I am willing to help wherever needed. Just let me know.
Also happy to help with campus coffee and even set up. Not able to lift things that are too big but willing to help with other stuff. June
Post a Comment