Friday, January 16, 2009

Online Bookmarks--Better Late than Never

I've been playing with two online bookmarking tools, and I have pretty mixed feelings about both of them.

While I think that I could probably learn to like and to use Delicious, it would take some effort. Honestly, my biggest complaint is that I really, really hate the color scheme and the fonts. I know, that's picky, but I tend to be a pretty visually-oriented person. I think I could probably force myself to learn and to benefit from Delicious, but it's probably going to take a direct order.

On a slightly more positive note, I've also been playing with Google Bookmarks. Like Delicious, Google Bookmarks allows you to access your bookmarks from anywhere in the world. When combined with the Google Toolbar, it's a very comfortable tool to use. As with Delicious, you can export your browser's bookmarks to Google so you're not forced to re-create your lists. Google Bookmarks definitely has some downsides, though. At this point, there's no way to share your Google Bookmarks with other users. That definitely limits its effectiveness in an office/library setting. Also, Google Bookmarks is actually just part of Google Web History. Depending on the settings you choose, based on your privacy concerns, the web history tool will track all of your internet usage. Supposedly, it's just used to improve your search results, etc., but this is where a little paranoia kicks in for me.

No comments: